Rent overdue, San Diego homeless program turned us away

(Request from Kitty in San Diego, California) My rent is overdue my husband is a Veteran with PTSD. Program said we didn’t make enough money for homeless prevention program. That’s not fair, I don’t know what else to do. We are victims of national mortgage settlement. We were illegally foreclosed on in 2009. We need help quickly please. I don’t understand them saying we don’t make enough for homeless prevention program. If I made enough I would be able to pay.

Dear Kitty,

Your family is experiencing one of the most difficult realities of homelessness prevention programs. It is unconscionable that your husband has to experience this “no man’s land” after his years of dedicated service to our nation. I know that your journey has not been an easy one as this current challenge is a difficult one.

Your story is a reminder that there is no shortage of firms that will take advantage of people who desperately need help. It also shows the gaps in current housing programs.

We previously discussed a few options with fellow residents of San Diego County who were also struggling to keep up with rent costs.

Keiko of Spring Valley was struggling to pay rent and bills. In that situation we made referrals to the San Diego Housing Commission, Housing Authority of the County of San Diego and Community Interface Services.

Matthew in Escondido was able to find a new job but was still three months behind on rent payments and in imminent danger of an eviction. We discussed the Volunteers of America Luhman Center for Supportive Living, Catholic Charities and South Bay Community Services as potential sources of assistance. His situation was a bit different since he was about to receive higher income, which put rental loans as a potential option for helping his family get through in the interim. Melissa in El Cajon was provided with similar referrals.

Their situations are somewhat different than yours, but I want you to see how some of these community resources can fit into multiple scenarios. If the programs you contacted turned you away, it may be possible that one or more of these organizations can step in to assist you.

Your family could benefit from contacting the United Way of San Diego County, which can make additional referrals to charities that they support financially. You simply dial 211 to speak with a representative who can make a helpful link to a potential aid program. San Diego’s United Way chapter could be particularly helpful since they operate Military and Veteran Services. This can help your family access needed assistance through the California Department of Veterans Affairs and the California Association of County Veterans Service Officers (CACVCO).

The California Veterans Resource Book can provide you with additional information about your options. This is the 2014 version of the guide.

I hope that these options provide you with additional insight on potential steps that you and your husband can take. It is important to me that you receive the help you need to live comfortably and without the fear of being evicted.