Transitional Housing Options in Raleigh and Wake County NC

If you have already been evicted from your apartment and have no place to stay, transitional housing might be a temporary option for avoiding homeless shelters while saving money. Wake County offers several transitional housing opportunities in Raleigh and Cary.

After an eviction, it can be especially difficult to gain approval for a new apartment. Even if they overlook your rental history and credit issues, you still have to come up with a security deposit and at least the first month’s rent before you can move in. Instead of trying to come up with a fix all at once, you might want to consider transitional housing as a way to catch your breath, improve your credit rating and save money towards your next home.

You could actually receive a spot in a safe transitional home and avoid having to choose between less desirable choices such as a homeless shelter. This can be a great way to still feel like you have your own place, yet avoid shelling out hundreds of dollars a month in high rent and utility costs.

Wake County Supportive Housing partners with nonprofit organizations to provide transitional housing to those individuals and families who have experienced housing emergencies. In order to qualify, you must bring a paystub to show that you are working at least 35 hours a week. If approved, some partners allow a stay of up to 2 years. Others limit your stay to 6 months.

These are the current transitional housing opportunities available in Raleigh:

  • Glory to Glory House of Refuge. 1700 Carson St, Raleigh, NC 27608. Call 919-829-9491 (Single/homeless women with HIV).
  • Harriet’s House. PO Box 17588, Raleigh, NC 27619. Call 919-834-0666 (Recently released female inmates).
  • Matthew House. PO Box 17588, Raleigh, NC 27619. Call 919-834-0666 (Homeless families with children).
  • New Life Connection Transitional Housing for Women. PO Box 24982, Raleigh, NC 27611. Call 919-833-3393 (Women with emergency situations).
  • Wake Interfaith Hospitality Network. 903 Method Rd, Raleigh, NC 27606. Call 919-832-6024.
  • YWCA. 1012 Oberlin Rd, Raleigh, NC 27605. Call 919-828-3205 (Single women).

This transitional home is open to families in Cary:

  • The Carying Place. PO Box 622, Cary, NC 27512. Call 919-462-1800 (Homeless families with children).

Remember that these are not permanent residential facilities. Instead, they are designed to help you preserve the dignity of having your own room for yourself and any family members. You can still go to work and save money towards renting your next place. If you have credit problems to deal with, it gives you some time to work through those issues so that you can pass your next credit check.

Keep in mind that you will also have access to classes and other training to help you gain job and life skills. Wake County Supportive Housing provides a Ready to Rent program that it makes available to all residents who currently live in transitional housing. Those who graduate from that program get preference over other applicants in some of the subsidized rental properties that are maintained in Wake County. For more information about the next workshop, call Wake County Supportive Housing at 919-856-5277.

Hopefully your temporary stay at a transitional housing facility will give you enough time to get your life in order so that you can plan your next home. Of course, if you still need financial assistance, you may still apply for help with a security deposit or rent payments to help you move from transitional housing into your own home. These are available as long as you meet eligibility criteria and your new home will be located within Wake County.